Opened 14 years ago

Closed 14 years ago

Last modified 14 years ago

#184 closed defect (wontfix)

mkv vobsub, srt, and ssa subtitles out-of-sync

Reported by: mad_ogre@… Owned by: saschasommer@…
Priority: normal Component: core
Version: 1.0pre6 Severity: normal
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked By: Blocking:
Reproduced by developer: Analyzed by developer:

Description

Hi,

When playing a mkv file, the vobsub subtitle was rendered ~0.5 seconds earlier
than it should. I'd verified that 1.0pre5 version do not have this problem.

This is the output of the run:
C:\Documents and Settings\Hieu Le\Desktop\dothack>mplayer -alang jpn -sid 0 doth
ack_1.mkv
MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.2.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/Xeon/Celeron Foster (Family: 8, Stepping: 7)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 0 SSE2: 0
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with --disable-runtime-cpudetection.

c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf doesn't look like a font description, ignoring.
Cannot load font: c:/windows/fonts/arial.ttf
Playing dothack_1.mkv.
[mkv] Track ID 1: video (V_MS/VFW/FOURCC), -vid 0
[mkv] Track ID 2: audio (A_AAC/MPEG4/LC), -aid 0, -alang eng
[mkv] Track ID 3: audio (A_AAC/MPEG4/LC), -aid 1, -alang jpn
[mkv] Track ID 4: subtitles (S_VOBSUB), -sid 0, -slang eng
[mkv] Will play video track 1
[mkv] Will play audio track 3
[mkv] Will display subtitle track 4
Matroska file format detected.
VIDEO: [XVID] 640x360 12bpp 23.976 fps 0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
==========================================================================
Opening audio decoder: [faad] AAC (MPEG2/4 Advanced Audio Coding)
FAAD: compressed input bitrate missing, assuming 128kbit/s!
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 16000->176400 (128.0 kbit)
Selected audio codec: [faad] afm:faad (FAAD AAC (MPEG2/MPEG4 Audio) decoder)
==========================================================================
==========================================================================
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
==========================================================================
Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 44100 hz, little endian signed int
AF_pre: 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
AO: [dsound] 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian) (2 bps)
Building audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 640 x 360 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is 1.78:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
VO: [directx] 640x360 => 640x360 Planar YV12

Change History (6)

comment:1 Changed 14 years ago by saschasommer@…

  • Owner changed from alex@… to saschasommer@…

-ao win32 should help

comment:2 Changed 14 years ago by mad_ogre@…

thanx, that fixed the prob

comment:3 Changed 14 years ago by reimar

Now that's a weird side effect... Any idea what causes it? Is it/will it be
fixed (soon)?

comment:4 Changed 14 years ago by mplayer@…

  • Summary changed from mkv vobsub subtitle out-of-sync to mkv vobsub, srt, and ssa subtitles out-of-sync

I'm having a similar problem. Here's some information about the results on my
system:

OS: Linux
mkv subtitle format: srt or ssa


-ao arts/jack

No problem

-ao oss/alsa/null

Sync difference: 1s too early

-ao esd/sdl

Sync difference: ~0.6s too early


I was having the same problem with mplayer 1.0pre4 and 1.0pre5, but I only ran
those with -ao oss.

comment:5 Changed 14 years ago by mplayer@…

More info: The "Audio: no sound" status is the key for getting the right
subtitle sync on my system. So "-nosound" also works. "-ao alsa" and "-ao
jack" SEEMED to work because mplayer couldn't connect to them, and I didn't
have my headphone on to realize that there was no sound.

comment:6 Changed 14 years ago by moritz@…

  • Resolution set to wontfix
  • Status changed from new to closed

That text subs show up too early is not surprising. MPlayer does not have a
proper text subtitle queue, and the demuxers all display the text subs as soon
as they're read from the source file. Therefore they're not synchronized to the
audio output (depends on how much the audio output buffers). This is usually
about ~0.5 - 1s too early. Without audio my guess is that there's simply no need
for A/V sync, and both video and the subs are displayed "in sync" if they're
properly interleaved in the source file.

This won't be fixed any time soon.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.