Opened 7 years ago

Closed 6 months ago

#2164 closed defect (wontfix)

Mplayer crashes decoding HD (1920x1080) TV broadcasts with radeon and vdpau drivers

Reported by: jimmybgood9@… Owned by: reimar
Priority: normal Component: vd
Version: HEAD Severity: major
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked By: Blocking:
Reproduced by developer: no Analyzed by developer: no


Mplayer works great decoding HDTV (1920x1080) with the nvidia
proprietary driver. Cpu load is very low. Switching to a radeon
HD5450 without enabling gpu acceleration, mplayer works fine, but cpu
load is high. When I enable libvdpau1, the gallium vdpau drivers and
open source radeon drivers, mplayer decodes and outputs with vdpau for
2 seconds and then crashes.

Attachments (1)

mplayer-bugreport (28.4 KB) - added by jimmybgood9@… 7 years ago.
A.6. What to report - in full

Download all attachments as: .zip

Change History (4)

Changed 7 years ago by jimmybgood9@…

A.6. What to report - in full

comment:1 Changed 7 years ago by reimar

Radeon VDPAU is still fairly unstable, it tends to crash if the video stream has any kind of corruption.
If you can create and make available a sample via -streamdump I might be able to check if it is really an issue with the driver.
Also if you can I'd suggest updating to the 3.12 kernel and possibly newer Mesa as a first step.

comment:2 Changed 7 years ago by jimmybgood9@…

Upgrade to kernel 3.12: no change

Built mesa-9.2.3, installed under /usr/local, used ldconfig to direct binaries
properly, verified with ldd.

Put the gallium driver module with proper links in same
directory that debian packages put them, verified with:

pkg-config --variable=moduledir vdpau

Mplayer relays an error from libvdpau1, I believe, "Failed to open VDPAU backend cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory," but it is probably just a generic error message.

Mplayer reports, "VIDEOOUT: [vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11."

That function is a part of libvdpau1. I suspect something in libvdpau1 was changed (fixed), but hasn't been pushed to git main.

Note the _dl_close assertion failure just before the backtrace in the attachment I sent. Coincidentally, the vdpau devs were trying to fix dl_close problems Jan, 2013.

I'm going to search mailing lists.

Thanks for your help.

  • Jim

comment:3 Changed 6 months ago by compn

  • Analyzed by developer unset
  • Reproduced by developer unset
  • Resolution set to wontfix
  • Status changed from new to closed

closing super old hardware bugs :)

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.