Opened 15 years ago

Closed 14 years ago

Last modified 14 years ago

#98 closed defect (wontfix)

gmplayer ignores config file

Reported by: szo@… Owned by: reimar
Priority: normal Component: GUI
Version: HEAD Severity: minor
Keywords: Cc:
Blocked By: Blocking:
Reproduced by developer: Analyzed by developer:

Description

When using gmplayer, it reads (according to the terminal) the config files
(ex.
Reading config file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
Reading config file /export/home/szo/.mplayer/config ), but then ignores the
contents (i tried ao and vo). Looks like the only config file that matter is
gui.conf, and it gets updated by the command line arguments, which is VERY
confusing.

Change History (4)

comment:1 Changed 15 years ago by reimar

(In reply to comment #0)

When using gmplayer, it reads (according to the terminal) the config files
(ex.
Reading config file /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf
Reading config file /export/home/szo/.mplayer/config ), but then ignores the

Not true. Only the settings that can be adjusted from the Gui are ignored (in
other words, they are overwritten by those in gui.conf)

contents (i tried ao and vo). Looks like the only config file that matter is
gui.conf, and it gets updated by the command line arguments, which is VERY
confusing.

What do you mean by "updated by command line arguments"? And in the cases where
you use the commandline, why don't you just use mplayer instead of gmplayer?
That would solve the problem. ;-)

comment:2 Changed 15 years ago by szo@…

OK, here's the complete story: I was trying to make feedback on bug #12
(gmplayer crash when popup menu appears), so I was in no position to adjust
settings from the gui, not even knowing which settings can be adjusted from the
gui. I used one single config file that seemed to work for the gui-less mplayer:
.mplayer/config.

Then someone suggests that I should use a different audio out plugin and see if
the crash still there. I edit .mplayer/config and the crash still there. Then,
accidentally noticed that the debug output actually states that the audio out
plugin is still the same, not honoring my .mplayer/config. Trying with command
line -ao, it changes. Trying again with a 'plain' command line, it still
changes! So I begin to investigate, discover .mplayer/gui.conf (wow, I'm good
:), and I notice that it gets updated by the command line parameter.

In my opinion, for gmplayer the command line parameters should be threated as
one-time run parameters and not to be saved into the config file.

comment:3 Changed 14 years ago by diego@…

  • Component changed from core to GUI
  • Owner changed from alex@… to Reimar.Doeffinger@…

comment:4 Changed 14 years ago by diego@…

  • Resolution set to wontfix
  • Status changed from new to closed

The current behavior is by design.

Note: See TracTickets for help on using tickets.